It’s unimaginable that it was once impossible to log into an online casino like https://vulkanvegas.com/hu to enjoy virtual games at your convenience. Many people, especially the younger generation, cannot fathom an era when the internet was practically non-existent. It is one of the reasons it is crucial to learn about the history of online casinos. Read on to understand how the first virtual gaming establishments came to be.
It is challenging to determine the exact date that online gambling emerged. However, it’s believed that the first-ever casino opened its virtual doors in 1996. This was after the internet was completely commercialized in 1994. At this time, the Caribbean nation of Barbuda and Antigua passed the Free Trade and Processing Act making it the first country to regulate gambling. The move facilitated granting licenses to companies that wanted to offer gambling services through Internet casinos.
Another significant event occurred in the Isle of Man in the same year. Microgaming made its grand entry into the iGaming world. In the ’90s, it was not the giant software company it is today. Back then, the firm did not have a large team or budget. It was, however, still committed to becoming the brand name behind the first-ever fully operational Internet casino on the globe.
Microgaming launched a platform that was different from the top-rated online casinos that exist today. It established the first functional online casino, “The Gaming Club.” The gaming site inspired the revolutionization of the gambling industry. At a time when the World Wide Web was still a new concept, the gambling site allowed players to play the casino games they love most without leaving the comfort of their homes at a time when the World Wide Web was still a new concept. It was a relief, especially for gaming lovers who did not want to keep traveling to traditional brick-and-mortar casinos.
In 1995, another breakthrough in the gambling world emerged when another company called Cryptologic was established. It specializes in real money transactions online. This was the missing piece required to create an actual real cash gambling online avenue. Cryptologic launched its casino dubbed Intercasino after changing how money transactions occurred over the internet because it could now process quick and fast payments for players.
It did not take ages for investors to realize the huge potential of online casinos. After the first two internet casinos emerged, many others were also launched, each operator trying to outdo the competition. Because computer technologies were pretty new then, the companies put in extra effort to attract and maintain clients. Operators had to work with limited options to attract as many clients as possible to remain profitable. The advancement of technology today and the emergence of numerous reputable software providers are among the factors that favor the boom of online casinos.
Unsurprisingly, early-day internet casinos were nothing like modern internet gaming platforms. Here are some key differences to note before online gambling became too competitive
- Limited Games. When online casinos were first established, the range of games available was limited. It is a different story now with casinos because game lovers have limitless options, with new titles cropping up almost daily. Fresh releases also come with better-developed features that make gameplay super exciting. Furthermore, software was nowhere as functional as it is today as it is more advanced.
- Bonuses were Unheard of. Before technology took over, early-day casinos did not have much to offer in terms of bonuses or hefty rewards. As years go by, it is the opposite because casinos always come up with generous loyalty schemes and other grand incentives to try and impress members.
- Mobile compatibility. When online gambling started, people could only play games using their computers. Nowadays, you can play casino games anytime, whether you have a small coffee break or are commuting because the casinos are accessible via smartphones and other mobile devices like tablets.
- Legislation Improved. As aforementioned, back in the ’90s, Antigua and Barbuda was solely responsible for providing legislation. It is not the case today because many more gaming bodies have come up to offer licenses to legitimate gaming sites. Be on the lookout, nonetheless, because some governing bodies are dubious and end up damaging the reputation of a casino instead of ensuring that it is operating within the best industry practices.
- Payment options have also increased, where clients have numerous banking options to withdraw and deposit funds, including cryptocurrency, a digital currency.
From humble beginnings, the online gambling world grew into a business worth billions of dollars with numerous changes. An industry that seems to be evolving fast after every few years, we cannot wait to see what the future holds for online casinos.